Sunday, September 12, 2010

Reflection #3

What: This week in class we learned the 6 principles of art: proportion, balance, variety, rhythm, emphasis, and unity.  To be honest, I have never heard of, or referred to, these 6 principles before this week.  However, I really enjoyed learning about them because it helps to better understand pieces of art.  In the past when I have gone through museums, or places with art, I have looked at the works of art for a brief few seconds and continued on to the next piece.  Now, after learning the principles and elements of art, I hope that I will be able to take time when I go to museums and really look at what the artist is trying to say/illustrate. Using children's books to better understand art is a fabulous idea in my opinion.  The pictures are usually rich with color or with detail, and the pictures are usually very simple, or at least simple enough for children to understand.  Also, because there are so many children's books, you can probably find every element and principle of art in at least one picture book.  
So What: When I am a teacher I hope to teach my students about the different artists and the different and unique techniques they use in illustrating.  By doing this, students will be able to find out which principle they enjoy using, if any.  They will also be able to look at pieces of art and understand the message the artist is trying to convey.  
Now What: Well, I already talked about how learning the principles of art can benefit my future students and myself, but something I have not mentioned is being artistically literate.  In our day and age, and it will only progress more, more and more people are learning about the arts, and even if art isn't something a person is interested in, it is still something they should have a general knowledge about.  If there is ever a time to add something to a conversation, it's nice to be the one to make the comment.  I believe all people, no matter what field they may be in, should be well-rounded and have a general knowledge about many things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment